Foam Recycling Coalition's Grant Program:
Rules and Instructions
Public and private entities in the U.S. and/or Canada that engage in any of the following activities are eligible to apply for the FRC grant:
- Operate a material recovery facility
- Manage residential curbside recycling programs
In addition, qualified entrants must be ready/able to…
- Accept post-consumer foam polystyrene* for recycling. Programs that already accept foam polystyrene but that would like to expand their acceptance of foam polystyrene will also be considered.
- Invest in the required equipment to collect and process foam polystyrene for recycling. Funding is contingent on the successful implementation of the plan within 6 months of the grant commitment.
- Communicate the addition of foam polystyrene* to current program directly to households and incorporate acceptance of foam polystyrene into its regular communications/educational materials.
- Report on volumes of foam polystyrene* collected, processed and marketed.
- Commit to collecting, processing and marketing foam polystyrene* for 3 years.
*includes post-consumer foodservice packaging, egg cartons and meat trays; may also include protective packaging
The eligibility requirements will be subject to change based on demand and program learnings.
|2.||Funding Source, Grant Amounts and Cash Match|
Funding Source: The FRC is funding the grant program that will allow entities to collect, process and sell foam polystyrene cost-effectively.
Grant Amounts: Funding amounts will be made on a case-by-case basis and will be dependent on equipment needs. It is anticipated that amounts will be in the range of $15,000 to $50,000.
Cash Match: No cash match is required, but additional costs by the grantee may be incurred for related items such as site preparation, provision of conveying system and electrical infrastructure, freight, and other installation costs.
|3.||Contract Requirements and Term|
Grant recipients will be required to sign a contract detailing the planning, equipment ordering, delivery, installation, and start-up of the system, as well as associated education, outreach and data gathering related to foam polystyrene recycling. The term of the contract will be three years.
|4.||Application Instructions, Due Date and Selection Process|
Application Due Date: There is no deadline to apply; applications may be submitted at any time.
Selection Process: The FRC will review the grant applications and may request additional clarifying information as needed. Selections will be based on a number of variables, such as capacity, number of households served and level of funding available. Please note that applications that rate highly and are likely to be considered for funding include:
50,000 households or more served
MRF application of foam densifier (in a single-stream or dual-stream MRF)
Residential curbside collection of post-consumer foam, as well as possible commercial collection
Well-defined end markets
Detailed project planning timeline
Multifaceted outreach plan
Thorough supporting documentation (i.e., equipment quote)
Question related to the FRC grant program should be direct to email@example.com.